Wednesday 10 March 2010

Mixtec spinner

I finished off my little embroidery of the Mixtec spinner this evening.
I like the effect of embroidering onto print fabric and want to do some more. I'm also really interested in learning more about the manuscripts where these types of images come from. The book that I borrowed from the library has some good references which I am following up. I've also ordered the book that MafiosaGrrl recommended to me yesterday because it looks as if it will be full of fabulous images just like this one.

2 comments:

MafiosaGrrl said...

i found the movie on youtube. it's about an hour so it's been divided up into 7 parts. the link included will take you to the page that has all 7 videos in one place. it's based on the Popol Vuh, the creation story of the Mayans. It was made by Patricia Amlin of University of California @ Berkeley. I'm going to have to re-watch it now that it's back in my head. It's a very interesting style of animation and uses imagery recreated from the codices and the mayan pyramids. it's really amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=760B49F273CB7621

Sam said...

Wow, thanks for the link, MG! I just watched all of them and was enthralled. Incredible images.

Related Posts with Thumbnails