Sunday 5 October 2008

Updates

I've just re-read some of my blog entries from a couple of months ago, and I feel the need to report on a couple of things:

I completed the City to Surf (a 12km fun run which I walked) with no pain and no problems. I'm not sure how long it took, but I think it was about three hours or so. I got a nice purple polo shirt and a sausage in a bun afterwards, then I went home and drank wine :-) Yay me.

Jury duty was a non-event. I managed to get into two courtrooms but the first time my number didn't come up for the actual jury (thankfully, since it was a very dull-sounding "holding funds" case). The second time, we were taken to the Supreme Court but the accused pleaded guilty at the last minute to assaulting four people and a car (but strangely he pleaded not guilty to being armed with scissors) during a robbery. (Should it be "pleaded" or the word that sounds like "pled"? I don't know, but I like the way the word "pled" rolls off the tongue.)

Most of the time I sat and waited for hours and hours for my number to be called out. I almost finished the cryptic crossword on one day, and I met some interesting people including one lady who had brought her needlepoint project. She said to me that Security had confiscated her scissors when she had entered the building, but she was allowed to keep her needle.

The whole experience was like checking in at the airport, only to find that your flight has been cancelled. Every day for a week.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails